The Mothership Maintenance Log #208


I’m about a week behind on car stuff, so let’s catch up!

I started working my way through the front passenger side suspension components. New upper control arm bushings, upper control arm ball joint, lower control arm ball joint, lower control arm shock bushing, inner tie rod, outer tie rod end, tie rod boot, sway bar linkage, and sway bar to frame bushing. For the most part, the items coming off the car seemed to be in reasonable shape, and probably could have stayed a while longer, but I was already in the middle of things so I just kept going.

All of the ball joints (including driver side) that came off the car were loose enough to push around with my finger, but still fit tightly in the socket without any noticeable slop. I wonder why people say that it being loose enough to move means it’s shot?

30690
Old and new upper control arm pieces.

The upper control arm ball joint had an alignment mark so I set it up with the dot on the arm.
30691

Done!
30692

Removing the lower ball joint was a huge pain. I wound up using an impact wrench and press kit, which they say not to do..
30693

And the lower control arm shock bushing was an EVEN LARGER PITA. I wound up following a forum post’s advice and cutting it out with a saws-all.
30694
Old bushing. Intact, but obviously worn.

30695
Noooope. Would not press out.

30696
Finally! Pressed out the inner rubber, and then sawed through the sleeve and pried it out.

30697
The new bushings had an alignment dot, but I couldn’t find out where it went :x So I gave up and just put it facing “down”

30699
I did not replace the lower control arm to frame bushings, and they seemed OK-ish.

30698
The old sway bar hardware was in OK shape. Got replaced anyway.

30700
New tie rod end!

And that’s about it, besides the alignment being screwed up, I didn’t really notice much difference. At least not compared to how much impact the new shocks had.
–ctag