A couple updates from the past few weeks:
Last week of January:
- Found that the coolant was rusty
- Flushed the radiator with water and ran the car (~3 times). The last flush was mostly clean water.
- Found that the radiator cap was broken with the relief valve missing.
- Replaced the radiator cap and filled the radiator with concentrated coolant to make a proper mix.
- For a nice gentle test drive I drove to Atlanta for a wedding the next day. No issues.
Two days ago (Wednesday) I left my keys locked in my car at work… and the car running. It probably sat idling for about 6 hours total before my parents came to the rescue with a spare key.
The brakes still pulse, so yesterday my roommate helped me pull the front brake rotors and turn them on a brake lathe. No more pulsing while braking! At least for now…
And this weekend I’m planning on changing the oil simply due to the whole “left running all day” thing.